Monday, February 2, 2015

Into the Woods: Disney vs Sondheim

The first time I saw this musical, I was in high school choir class and I fell in love. I've always been a fan of musicals and operas. I remember the first musical that I ever saw was Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory with Gene Wilder. I was amazing by the incorporation of music and movies and how it all flowed together.

Watching this musical was just the same. I loved the different outlook on the fairy tales that I grew up with, wanting them to be my life, I mean come on who wouldn't want a handsome prince or beautiful princess to marry? I loved the incorporation of all the different tales into one. And the cast was amazing, I still have a smile on my facing when I hear Bernadette Peters sing as the witch. I know most of the lyrics to the songs.

If you haven't seen the musical, please do. Before you see the Disney version!

Compare:

  1. Most of the Songs were there
  2. Characters were the same, nothing added (only a couple I noticed that were gone)
  3. The plot was the same, mostly (that I can remember, I need to watch the musical again) 
  4. Flowed the same
  5. Moved me in the same way
Contrast:
  1. A couple of the songs were moved around (not a big deal, but I couldn't find much to fault)
  2. The wolf was a little creepier in the movie than in the musical (Sorry Johnny) 


My final rating: 

Disney did an amazing job of bringing my favorite musical to the big screen and very happy that it grossed so much in the theater. I plan on purchasing both when I get the chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment